In this article you will learn how to create your discount strategies and apply these to your different product types
Note: This article contains the basic information for how to create and set up a discount. It is designed to be used in conjunction with our examples article.
For in-depth information on all of the discount settings and how they function, view our advanced article here.
Creating and editing a discount
- To add a discount, navigate to Home > Settings > Organisations > Discounts
- Click on the Add discount strategy to create and add a suitable description, such as sibling discount, or multi-buy discount, and click on the save icon
- Description - This is the name of the discount
- This is visible to purchasers
- Volume/Progressive Discount Slider - The slider will set whether the discount is calculated as a volume or progressive discount:
- Volume Discounts affect all purchased items - A volume discount for siblings will give all siblings involved the same discount
- Progressive Discounts affect just the specified item(s) - A progressive discount for siblings will give just the specified siblings a discount
- Action - Action icons allow you to save or delete your discount strategies
- Create the discount per the settings required. We'd advise copying the common examples in the article here
- Choose Save when done
Note: Members only will only grant the discount to contacts who have purchased another items that has been designated as a membership. It does not automatically connect to a "Subscription/Membership" product.
It is not a commonly used feature, so there is no need to turn it on unless you know you need it.
View our full help article for more information.
Applying Your Discounts to Products
(Click animation to enlarge in a new tab)
- Navigate to Settings > Products > open the product Discounts settings
- Select 'Add discount' or 'Multi-Product discount'
- Select which discount strategy you wish to apply to the product
- Expiry Date - when this discount will end
- Calculate Over Period
- Billing frequency - the discount will be applied each and every time there an invoice is issued
- Schedule - The discount is applied each time a schedule renews
- For example, if you are billing monthly for a class that runs on a three month schedule, the discount will be applied on the first month's billing only
- Once, at purchase - The discount will only apply when the product is first purchased
- Restrict Discount to Units? - If set, only purchases of the selected units will have the discount applied
- Select Save under actions
Tip: You can apply discounts at the product group level. By doing so, the discount will be inherited by all the products and product sub-groups within this group.
Product groups can distinguished from products by the folder icon.
Applying Your Discounts to Groups