In this article you will learn how to raise a credit note against an invoice
There may be instances when you need to amend the price of an outstanding for your customer, or raise a credit against one that has previously been fully reconciled.
- A credit note raised against a fully outstanding invoice will apply the credit immediately against the invoice and discount the payment when it is made.
- A credit note raised against a fully reconciled invoice will apply the credit to your customer's account and will be deducted the credit automatically from the next invoice.
Note: Credit notes can only be raised against an existing invoice.Credit notes raised against outstanding invoices will be considered as a partial, or full, payment towards that invoice.
Credit notes against reconciled invoices (where the invoice has already been fully paid) will be considered as an 'account credit'.
Account credits will be allocated as an account balance payment against the next invoice paid, and amount deducted from the next invoice automatically.
Through Sales Admin > Invoices
- Navigate to Sales Admin > Invoices
- Find the invoice you'd like to raise credit against
- On the right side under "Action" click "RC"
- If the option is not there, it means it is not possible to assign credit to this invoice, for example if the invoice has already been cancelled.
- Enter the value of the credit required and click "Create credit note"
Credits against an invoice will highlight in red in the invoice list.
Through "Remove from Product"
When removing a contact from a product, you will also get the option to apply credit if you wish. Full information on this are available on our Remove from Product article.